Sliding into DMs can be incredibly daunting. I mean, think about it: you are putting yourself out there to be totally vulnerable to a complete stranger. What will they think about me? How do I not sound stupid? What if they reject me?
These are common fears and thoughts that surround the act of DM sliding. But I am here today to tell you that there is NOTHING TO LOSE. If you follow this 5 step formula, you are sure to rock it:
- Mindset First: as intangible as this may sound, it’s true. If you go into DM sliding with a pessimistic attitude, you are setting yourself up for failure when that is completely unnecessary. Think about it: this is complete stranger. YOU DON’T OWE THEM ANYTHING AND THEY DON’T OWE YOU ANYTHING. If they don’t respond, so what? Really, it’s not a big deal.
- Pick Your Person: as obvious as this may seem, it’s not. Especially on dating apps, people just send messages to any random person. But that’s where people mess up. Know exactly WHY you want to talk to THAT specific person and not the other millions of random people on the platform you are using.
- Do Your Homework: spend a few minutes browsing the person’s content to get a feel of who they are and what they are interested in. In doing this, you are equipping yourself for success. People like to feel special and like your interest is in them specifically.
- Craft A Personalized Message: far too often, people will slide into DMs and say something generic that gives the receiver zero motivation to respond. The worst is when people just say “hey” and expect the receiver to do all the work. If you want to slide into a DM and ask someone for even a minute of your time, you must respect it and only ask for it if there is value to be given.
- Press “Send” And Don’t Spend Another Minute Worrying! If it’s meant to work out, it will. Don’t be so hard on yourself if it doesn’t.